Prediabetes and type 2 diabetes are caused by a drop in insulin sensitivity blamed on “intramyocellular lipid,” the buildup of fat inside our muscle cells.
Subscribe to Dr. Greger’s free nutrition newsletter and get the Evidence-Based Eating Guide: A Healthy Living Resource from Dr. Greger and NutritionFacts.org. Sign up at https://www.nutritionfacts.org/healthkit.
The most concerning downside of low-carb diets, though, is heart health: Low Carb Diets and Coronary Blood Flow (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/low-carb-diets-and-coronary-blood-flow/)
This is the first of a 3-part video series on the cause of type 2 diabetes, so as to better understand dietary interventions to prevent and treat the epidemic. Next, in The Spillover Effect Links Obesity to Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-spillover-effect-links-obesity-to-diabetes), I talk about how that fat can come either from our diet or excess fat stores, and then in Lipotoxicity: How Saturated Fat Raises Blood Sugar (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lipotoxicity-how-saturated-fat-raises-blood-sugar) show how not all fats are equally to blame.
Here are some of my recent diabetes videos with a bunch more on the way:
• Lifestyle Medicine Is the Standard of Care for Prediabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lifestyle-medicine-is-the-standard-of-care-for-prediabetes/)
• Diabetics Should Take Their Pulses (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/diabetics-should-take-their-pulses/)
• How to Prevent Prediabetes from Turning into Diabetes (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-prediabetes-from-turning-into-diabetes)
• How to Prevent Prediabetes in Children (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-prevent-prediabetes-in-children)
• Plant-Based Diets and Diabetes (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Plant-Based-Diets-and-Diabetes)
• Preventing Prediabetes By Eating More (http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/preventing-prediabetes-by-eating-more/)
Have a question for Dr. Greger about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/what-causes-insulin-resistance and he’ll try to answer it!
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Podcast: http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/
• Subscribe: http://http://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate